Thursday, March 20, 2014

Flower - Color Project

When starting to create my color project, I had to learn new techniques with paint by developing new art making skills. The first thing i learned was to make a value scale. I had to go from the lightest parts of one color by making tints (adding white) to the darkest parts of that color (by adding black). This is what i did using that skill in my sketch book. 

   After i learned new skills using tempera paint, i wanted to do my color project using water colors. I tried a couple of different pictures, but when i reflected over my art work i wasn't happy with any of it. I continued to explore using complementary colors to make a bright picture and using blotting to create texture and interest but still wasn't impressed with how they turned out. These were the paintings i had in my sketchbook 

When i decided i wanted to communicate a feeling of gloom through my painting I decided to paint a dying yellow flower. I used a tecnique i learned in class called drybrush to get deeper lines for the stem. I also needed to get a sad shadow around my flower petals, which were yellow, so i used the skills I learned in class and used complementary colors, which was purple, to create a brownish shadow. Here is the painting (rough draft) of a dying flower for my color project 

No comments:

Post a Comment